Terms of reference
CONSULTANT ON DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION MATTERS
For the UNDP and Ministry of Foreign Affairs Project
"Strengthening Institutional Capacity for Development and Implementation of the Development Cooperation Framework of the Government of Latvia"
(for a period of 18 month)
Today Latvia is a democratic country that shares common values that unite the EU and NATO member states. The experience that has been gained during the reform process has become one of the country-s best commodities. In addition, Latvia has demonstrated that conflicts can be resolved peacefully. As a result a new and qualitatively different component of Latvia-s foreign policy is emerging. Latvia is willing to share its knowledge and experience gained in the reform process with other countries so as to facilitate their development and efforts. Latvia has already provided consultancies on some issues related to integration in the European Union and public administration to Croatia, Macedonia, Georgia, Ukraine, Moldova, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
In light of the EU membership, Latvia faces new responsibilities and obligations in terms of provision of external assistance to other developing countries through the development cooperation framework. The Government of Latvia has undertaken the responsibility to adopt and apply the primary legislation of the European Commission on Development assistance policy from the moment of accession to EU without exceptions or transition periods and is already an observer member of the relevant EC work groups. In addition, the government will be obliged to coordinate its Development assistance policy and to coordinate its foreign assistance programs with EU and member states, including a coordinated access to international organisations and conferences. The government has also agreed to undertake liabilities for contributions to EU assistance programs.
In addition to participation in EU development policy, the Government of Latvia will further work with bilateral and multilateral projects, providing assistance to developing countries and countries with economy in transition, taking into consideration its own priorities.
Furthermore, upon accession to EU just like other EU member states, Development cooperation policy gradually will become one of the central foci of Latvian foreign policy (with regard to countries that are not EU member states or other donor countries).
Therefore, the accession process makes it equally important for Latvia to have a clear vision of its donor role within its foreign policy objectives and the objectives in international development cooperation as well as a good policy framework for their national development cooperation. One of the tasks for Latvia is now to begin implementing the strategy adopted by the Cabinet in April 2003 "The Basic Principles for the Development Cooperation Policy of the Republic of Latvia". This process would involve consideration and selection of institutional structures that would become part of this development cooperation framework, development of corresponding legislation and normative acts, identification of the areas of expertise and of individual expert profiles, and the awareness building about the necessity of Latvia becoming a donor.
2. Work Arrangement:
The Project Technical Advisor is expected to work full time and will work at the premises of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Project Technical Advisor (PTA) will work under the supervision of the National Project Director.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Technical Advosor-s duties will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Compile and analyse information regarding development assistance policies in other countries;
- Develop recommendations and proposals for implementation of the development cooperation framework in Latvia;
- Prepare and compile regular reports to the management of MFA and UNDP on the project progress;
- Provide support to the Head of the Development cooperation unit and staff in maintaining and developing regular contacts with other development cooperation partners in other countries;
- Coordinate activities of project stakeholders (donors, private sector, line ministries etc.)
- Coordinate the development and compilation of expert data base;
- Together with the respective MFA staff prepare and update project work-plan;
- Propose necessary activities for implementation of the development cooperation framework;
- In consultation with the respective MFA staff draft Terms of References for experts and subcontractors;
- In cooperation with the Project Director draft substantive project and other necessary reports;
- Perform other programming tasks as required by the Project Director.
Management and administration (25%):
- Serve as a liaison between UNDP and the MFA;
- Perform everyday monitoring and/or management of the project activities;
- Monitor and record expenditures against the project budget;
- Responsible for the proper use of the project budget that is in compliance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Prepare requests of Advances for funds as per UNDP financial rules and regulations;
- Organize tenders for experts according to drafted TORs;
- Assist in selection of experts when required, monitor deadlines for experts and subcontractors;
- Prepare all necessary documentation, reports, etc. for;
- Draft project revisions if necessary;
- Organise workshops, meetings, consultations with experts, Steering Committee meetings;
- Organise and oversee missions;
- Perform other duties as requested by the respective UNDP Programme Officer and the Project Director.
- An advanced degree in international relations or social, political, or economic science, public administration or related field;
- Sound understanding of development policy issues;
- Experience in project design, implementation, monitoring and financial management;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
- Full computer literacy and experience in working with PC-based equipment;
- Full proficiency in spoken and written English and Latvian, good drafting skills;
- Experience in working with international institutions and organizations;
- Commitment to the values of UN.
A detailed job description for the position is also available at www.undp.lv
Applicants should submit a full Curriculum Vitae and a Cover Letter
by August 11, 2003 to: