Airport transit visa is allowing to stay in an international transit zone and is required for citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka or foreigners holding passports issued by the aforementioned countries.
Documents required when applying for an airport transit visa:
- Visa application form completed online and signed by the applicant. One parent/legal guardian must sign application form for minors.
- One recent color passport photograph (A recent color passport photo. Measuring 35mm x 45mm. The photo should bear close resemblance to your current appearance and you should be facing the camera directly.
- Passport/travel document. The passport/travel document must have two blank pages for the visa sticker and notes of border crossing. Your passport/travel document must be valid for at least 3 months after your visit to Latvia/Schengen area (or in the case of several visits, after the last intended date of departure) and must have been issued within the previous 10 years. If you have travelled in the Schengen area in the last 3 years, and your previous Schengen visas are in an expired passport, it is preferred that you submit the expired passport.
- Residence permit or long term visa issued in the United Kingdom valid for at least one month beyond the intended departure from the Schengen area.
- Travel medical insurance policy valid for the whole Schengen area, covering the entire period of the intended visit to the Schengen area including also "the period of grace" of 15 days. The insurance must cover emergency medical expenses, hospitalization and repatriation (also in case of death) - minimum 30,000 EUR see section "Travel medical insurance". Evidence of this cover is required, i.e. the relevant paragraphs from the full insurance policy document (not Key Facts or Summary). If your employer is covering travel insurance or you are a member of a company travel insurance scheme your employer’s letter must confirm this. Otherwise private travel insurance must be produced.If the applicant will travel to Latvia for more than two times, he must present a valid travel medical insurance policy covering the period of the first intended visit.
- A valid visa of the state that you intend to enter after leaving the Schengen area, except when you are not required a visa to enter the country of your destination after exiting the Schengen area.
- Ticket reservation or other documents in relation to the onward journey to the final destination after the intended airport transit.