A foreigner who needs to stay in Latvia more than 90 days in a half-year period depending on the circumstances should apply for a long-stay visa (or a residence permit). Under Regulation of the European Parliament and the Council that came into effect on 5 April 2010, a third-country national holding a valid long-stay visa issued by a Schengen state may travel and stay in the territory of other Schengen states no more than 90 days in any 180-day period.
Territorial Competence of the Embassy of Latvia for Acceptance of Requests for Long- stay Visas (D)
Embassy of Latvia to the USA begins cooperation with VFS Services (USA) Inc. on visa applications. Starting from September 1, 2020 foreigners applying for long stay (D) visas will be able to submit their visa applications to any of the six VFS Services centers located in Washington D.C., New York, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Additional information is avaliable here: https://www.vfsglobal.com/latvia/usa/
If you would like to apply for a long stay (D) visa, please submit the following:
- Passport or other travel document with a period of validity extending at least three months past that of the visa, containing at least two blank pages for affixing visas, and issued within the previous ten years;
- completed and signed ONLINE APPLICATION FORM;
- 1 colour photo (35mm x 45mm);
- travel medical insurance policy valid for the whole Schengen area and covering the entire period of the foreigner's intended visit in the Schengen area;
- payment - application fee is accepted by Money Order made out to Embassy of Latvia or paid by bank card at the Embassy. The application fee is 70 USD (60 EUR).
- prepaid envelope with your return address for returning your documents. In case a return envelope is not submitted, the Embassy will use USPS services. If you wish to receive a certified shipment, the fee is 15 EUR if paid by bank card at the Embassy or by Money Order made out to the Embassy of Latvia in the amount of 20 USD if applying by mail. If you wish to receive your documents by FedEx, the fee is 25 EUR if paid by bank card at the Embassy or by Money Order made out to the Embassy of Latvia in the amount of 30 USD if applying by mail.
Consular officers of the Embassy determine the kind of supporting documents that have to be submitted by foreign nationals. This depends on the purpose of the visit, travelling experience, ties to the state of residence or situation of the state of residence.
All visa applicants can apply for a long stay (D) visa by mail, except those nationals and passport holders mentioned in the list of countries.
Address of the Embassy of Latvia:
2306 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20008