The Embassy of the Republic of Latvia in Ukraine advises that funding in the amount of LVL 15,000 ($31,380 US) has been granted to the Embassy for the implementation of development cooperation projects in Ukraine and Moldova in 2008.
The project applicant may be a non-governmental organisation (hereafter - NGO), a businessman, a local government or state institution of the recipient country (Ukraine and Moldova).
Projects which conform to at least one of the following priority areas will be considered for funding:
1. Support for the enhancement of the capacity of state administration and local governments, strengthening their stability and effectiveness;
2. Support for the improvement of the Ukrainian business environment, the introduction of market economy principles in practice:
2.1 development of a functioning market economy;
2.2 development of the investment environment;
3. Promoting development of a democratic and civil society.
Republic of Moldova
1. Balanced regional development:
1.1. reduction of regional economic and social inequality;
1.2. development of social assistance;
1.3. issues of environmental protection;
1.4. development of a democratic and decentralised local government system;
2. Justice, home affairs and the Rule of Law; fostering development of a democratic and civil society:
2.1. enhancing stability and effectiveness of institutions promoting democracy;
2.2. promoting development and independence of the judicial system;
2.3. consolidating the fight against corruption;
2.4. consolidating the border guard system of the Republic of Moldova and limiting illegal migration;
2.5. ensuring freedom of the media;
2.6. fostering development of a democratic and civil society;
3. Development of a properly functioning market economy, strengthening export capacity and introduction of international standards in export-oriented sectors.
The project application must be submitted by completing a form in Latvian, Russian or English, with a budget estimate for the project attached. When preparing the project proposal, the applicant must take into account that only expenses listed in the Classification of Eligible Costs may be included in the budget estimate. Completion date for the project is 15 November 2008 and the submission date for the final report on the outcome of the project is 30 November 2008. The project application must be signed and dated.
Project applications must be mailed to the Embassy of the Republic of Latvia in Ukraine (address: Ivana Mazepi 6B, 01901, Kiev, Ukraine).